How to Start a Business While at UWEC – Part 1: Kleine Leonard
Updated: Dec 1, 2021
Kleine Leonard – Kleine Leonard Photography
· Grew up in Platteville, WI
· Graduated from the entrepreneur program at UWEC
· After graduation relocated to Austin, TX
· Started a commercial photography business about a year ago
Where did the idea for Kleine Leonard Photography come from?
· Inspired from freshmen photography class
· Started to get inquires for senior photos
· Inquires expanded to real estate and restaurant photography
What was it like to start your business as a student?
· It was helpful to implement the takeaways directly from class into my business
· Reduced startup time
· Difficult managing schedule
What was appealing to you about Eau Claire?
· Sense of community
· Perfect size
· Trustworthy people
· Lot of resources to get support from
· Many opportunities to pitch your business
How did your overall education prepare you for business?
· Guest speakers
· Mentorships and grants
What were some unexpected challenges and unexpected successes that lead you to where your business is today?
· Allocating your resources
What are some proactive things you can do for your business?
· Stepping out of your comfort zone
· Focusing on marketing
Why did you choose to leave the Eau Claire area for your business?
· Larger market
· Push personal limits
What qualities do you hope Eau Claire will pursue in the future to create opportunities for entrepreneurs?
· Continue to promote entrepreneurial resources
· Welcoming outsiders
· Create an inviting environment
What would you tell student entrepreneurs to look for in a place to establish their business?
· Think about costs, opportunities, and market
· Look at it through a lot of angles
What’s some advice for students who are looking to establish their business in Eau Claire?
· Great location
· Costs are low depending on the business
· Resources are plentiful
· Do it!