How to Start a Business While at UWEC – Part 2: Dan Beck
Updated: Dec 1, 2021
Dan Beck – Midwest Meals
· From Ladysmith, WI
· Cofounded a non-profit called the Ladysmith Skatepark coalition
· Former entrepreneur program student
· Founder and owner of Midwest meals
How did the concept of Midwest Meals come about?
· Class projects
· Newfound interest in fitness
What was it like to start your business as a student?
· Intimidating to tell your parents
· Lot less pressure to be successful right away
What would you tell students who aren’t sure if they should start their business?
· Just do it!
· The worse things that can happen aren’t that bad
· You can pivot and move on
· It’s never too late no matter your age
What was appealing to you about starting your business in Eau Claire?
· Familiarity and relationships
· Natural tie-ins
How else did your education prepare you for your business?
· Understanding of accounting and compliances
· Business communication skills
· Behavioral psychology
What were some unexpected challenges and unexpected successes that lead you to where your business is today?
· Machine approval
· Longer shelf life
· Reduced plastic usage
What qualities of Eau Claire were appealing to you when starting your business?
· Rent cost
· Market opportunity
· Open communication
· The University
What have been the most interesting projects students have come to you with?
· Logo creation
· Social media management
Are there any other podcasts that have helped you with your business?
· MFCEO Project
· How I Built This w/ Guy Raz
What do you see the role of formal education has on your business?
· Life skills
What would you tell student entrepreneurs to look for in a place to establish their business?
· Be somewhere that is business friendly
· Talk to other businesses in the area
What’s some advice for students who are looking to establish their business in Eau Claire?
· Reach out to anyone in any industry
Instagram @whoisdanbeck @midwestmeals